henry adam: 9 months
This month also saw Henry eating more and more solid foods and a third tooth helps him with his love of eating. He is now a solid food pro and does not enjoy eating purees any longer (those are for babies!). No matter what we are eating, he wants a taste. From roast chicken to miso soup to beef stew to Dutch waffles to salad and omelets, Henry cannot gobble down enough! He has been great with each new food and eats with gusto. I sometimes wonder how he can pack all of that in. So far there has not been anything that this little boy won't eat (including lemons). We are now trying to introduce a sippy cup. We have both a sippy with straw from munchkin and a sippy with a spout. We will see which one he figures out first. Hopefully by next month H will be a pro and interested in drinking some water, especially as we begin to head toward Henry's 12 month birthday and our nursing weaning.
Mmmmm, Baaaaa, Hmmmm, are just a few of the babbling sounds coming from Henry these days. This has been a turning point month in Henry's sound repertoire. He laughs when he sees people laughing around him and this is so cute because it feel like he is "in on the joke." He loves babbling as he crawls around his room, towards the pups, and in your arms. He focuses intently on your mouth while you talk with him and puts his hands of your lips as though he was trying to learn how to replicate the noises. I love this phase so much! I am sure there will come a day when I will miss the quieter times as he talks non-stop but it is SO amazing to witness his language development. His voice is so cute and tiny and also so playful and sweet. And then, on the night before turning 9 months old, Henry said "ma ma"! My heart just exploded when this happened! Hearing his little voice call me "ma ma" for the very first time was amazing. I know I have been a mom this whole time, but it just became even more real hearing my son call me it. Be still my heart!
This month Henry is really into:
- Pterodactyl shrieks from the back seat of the car. When Henry is strapped into this car seat he makes this sound that conjures up the image of a flying prehistoric beast. He is hilarious and playful and silly and we sort of love it!
- Reading lots and lots of books throughout the day and before bed. He just cannot get enough. Right now his favorites are the Hungry Catepillar, Pajama Time, Barnyard Dance, and Olivia
- Cuddling his jellycat bunny from Robin and Heather. This soft little bunny is a new buddy and joins us wherever we go.
- Making little fists, reaching his arms above his head and growling as if he is saying, "look how strong I am as I flex my muscles." This cracks us up every time.
- Meeting animals like baby ducks and puppies. Amsterdam was full of random animal encounters and Henry enjoyed them all.
- Sitting in the shopping cart while we grocery shop and run errands. You would think this was the best part of his day the way he gets so excited and smiles and laughs as you push him along.
- Cuddling. Perhaps this is in response to the epic illness he battled at the beginning of the month but Henry has been SO cuddly this month. He loves to rest his head on your shoulder and give big hugs and sloppy open mouth kisses. I truly love this!!
- Walking with a gentle assist. Now that he can pull himself up on anything, he wants to move. He grabs a hold of your hands and just takes off. He is quite well balanced while walking laps around the house, museums, playgrounds, and everywhere his little toes touch the ground. We are all super curious when he will drop the assistance and start toddling about on his own.
- And, I almost forgot but the little guy is waving too. He waves hello and good bye. He flaps his arm up and down rapidly and smiles and laughs. He is quite proud of his new dexterity!